Confirmed by the order №SOCAR/15-3300/07-03-000028 of rector of Baku Higher Oil School, SOCAR, dated 16th of April, 2015.
1. General provisions
- The Scientific Сouncil is the supreme governing structure of Baku Higher Oil School (hereinafter BHOS). Guided by legislative acts related to education, training, science, international, administrative, economic activities and internal normative documents of the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR), the Scientific Сouncil functions in line with the work plan prepared for every academic year and approved accordingly to the corresponding rule and BHOS regulations including the order issued by the rector of BHOS (hereinafter “rector”).
2. Duties and obligations of the Scientific Сouncil
- Duties and obligations of the Scientific Сouncil are following:
- Bringing forward proposals connected with making amendments and addendato BHOS regulations;
- Hearing annual activity reports of BHOS, discussions and making appropriate decisions by rector;
- Bringing forward proposals on granting honorary titles, orders, medals to the prominent people;
- Making decisions on granting nominal scholarship to students;
- Discussion of perspective development plans of BHOS and making decision.
- Concerning education and training activity of BHOS
- Discussion and acceptance of study plans and programmes based on specializations on students’ enrolment, training of specialists, international education programmes;
- Organization of training for specialists on various education level, discussion of midterm and annual outcomes of this process, preparation of proposals related to constant improvement of quality of education and training activity;
- Discussion and bringing forward proposals on creation of appropriate structural sections or their reorganization in order to improve education and training activity;
- Discussion and making decision related to other important issues of BHOS concerning education and training activity;
- Taking into consideration the order issued by SOCAR on 18.12.2014 with the number 14-1000/01/SM-04-000130 and requirements on “regulations on positions of heads of departments, deans, deputy deans at the higher schools” approved by the order of the Ministry of Education of Azerbaijan Republic with the number N400 from 09.03.2011, selection and registration ofhighly qualified specialists for vacancies related to structural sections and positions.
- Concerning scientific activity of BHOS:
- Discussion and making appropriate decisions related to plans on perspective, scientific and research works including plans on scientific and research works financed by SOCAR;
- Organization of discussions and bringing forward appropriate proposals relating to the issues on inventions, license and patent activities; discussion and preparation of proposals related to organization of attestation of scientific and pedagogical staff;
- Organization of discussions and making appropriate decisions related to midterm and annual reports reflecting the outcomes of scientific and research activities;
- Discussion and giving recommendations related to inclusion of scientific and pedagogical staff into the scientific and technical boards functioning under the other scientific and education centers.
- Concerning international relations of BHOS:
- Discussion and bringing forward proposals related to establishment bilateral and multilateral relations with oversee scientific and education centers, companies and enterprises including international companies and organizations functioning in the country;
- Discussions of midterm and annual outcomes of international cooperation and making decisions in this connection.
- Concerning administrative and economic activities of BHOS:
- Discussions and preparation of proposals related to improvement and development of material and technical base;
- Discussions and bringing forward proposals related to financial plan made for every academic year;
- Discussions and taking decisions related to midterm and annual reports on fulfilment of financial plan;
- Discussions and taking decisions related to other issues concerning administrative and economic activities.
- If necessary, the Scientific Сouncil holds discussions, prepares proposals and makes appropriate decisions in frames of its competence related to the issues on all types of activities at BHOS.
3. Formation of the composition of the Scientific Сouncil
- The Scientific Сouncil includes BHOS management, management staff on education, training, international relations, administrative and economic activities, deans of faculties, heads of departments, representatives of trade unions, student and youth affairs organizations. If necessary, the Scientific Сouncil may include the representatives of other scientific, education centers, companies and enterprises.
- BHOS rector decides on quantity of the Scientific Сouncil members.
- According to the occupied positions, BHOS rector, vice rectors, scientific secretary, head of the library, heads of structural sections on education, training, international, economic activities, deans of the faculties, heads of departments, heads of trade unions and unions on youth and student affairs are included in the Scientific Сouncil.
- BHOS rector is entitled to define the quantity amounting to 10% with respect to the membership of the Scientific Сouncil. In this case, representation balance of BHOS respective structural sections (departments, faculties, chairs) within the Scientific Сouncil should not be frustrated.
- As for the remaining seats of the Scientific Сouncil, the members are elected by the majority of votes (in case the voting involves more than 50% of participants) during ordinary meetings of faculties, scientific bodies.In this case, the number of seats allotted for the faculties is defined proportionally to the number of students, professors and lecturers and scientific and engineering employees of the faculty in question.
- In case any of the members leaves the Scientific Сouncil during the period of itsfunctioning, in compliance with 3.3., 3.4 and 3.5.items, new members will be included in the Scientific Сouncil.
- The activity of the Scientific Сouncil is valid for three years. In case of exception and following the request of 2/3 of members, the Scientific Сouncil may be formed earlier involving new members.
4. Organization of activity of the Scientific Сouncil
- The activity of the Scientific Сouncil is governed by the chair, BHOS rector. During the first meeting, one of the vice-rectors on education or science is appointed asa deputy chair, one of the members is appointed as the scientific secretary.
- The meeting of the Scientific Сouncil is held not less than once in a month.
- Scientific secretary of the Сouncil together with the chair and deputy chair prepare various issues for discussions during the Сouncil meeting in accordance with the work plan.
- Official persons (reporters) involved in the issue in question capable to significantly contribute in the content of the issue under discussion should be defined, the draft decision should be prepared and distributed amongst the members.
- BHOS scientific secretary should officially inform about the date, time, venue and agenda of the Scientific Сouncil one week prior to the said meeting.
- The meeting of the Scientific Сouncil starts with the confirmation of the agenda.
- Then hearings on every issue are held, the chair questions reporters, ensures preparation of additional references on the issue in question and then opens the broad discussion on the issue.
- After discussions draft decision is brought forward and the final one is made with the view of proposals being made during the meeting.
- Chair of the Scientific Сouncil provides conditions for participation and involvement any interested persons other than Сouncil members in discussions.
- The meeting of the Scientific Сouncil should be considered authoritative in case of the presence of 2/3rd of its members.
- The Scientific Сouncil makes decision on appointment to the certain positions and granting honorary titles via secret voting and majority of votes. As for the rest of issues the Сouncil makes decision following open voting (in case of involvement of 50% of participants in voting).
- Decisions of the scientific board should be of recommendation nature. In order to ensure the execution of the mentioned decisions BHOS rector should issue corresponding orders.
- Two commissions on education and science, social and economic activities should be established under the Сouncil in order to make initial research on issues under discussions and prepare appropriate proposals. Each of two commissions should be comprised of 50% of the members of the Scientific Сouncil and 50% of other specialists.
- In order to control the execution of decisions control group should be established under the supervision of the scientific secretary of the Scientific Сouncil. The group should comprise 50% of the Сouncil members and 50% of other specialists.The group in question should supervise the execution of the orders related to the decisions of the Scientific Сouncil. The group should also report to the Scientific Сouncil on the outcomes connected with the above issue once in a quarter.
- The meetings of the Scientific Сouncil are recorded. The chair and the scientific secretary of the Scientific Сouncil should sign the records. The scientific secretary should keep it.
- In case decisions made by the Scientific Сouncil are controversial to the legislation in force and the items of the appropriate, internal and normative documents of SOCAR, they should be considered invalid.
- In case any amendments are made in the items of the legislative acts, which regulate BHOS activities, appropriate amendments should be made in the regulations of the Scientific Сouncil respectively.
- BHOS rector and 2/3rd of the members of the Scientific Сouncil shall have the right to initiate the amendments and addenda making in the regulations.