Visa and migration

Foreigners travelling to Azerbaijan for study purposes have to get a relevant visa (except for the citizens of the countries applying a visa-free-regime with Azerbaijan) at the Azerbaijani Embassy accredited in their countries. We recommend you to apply for a study visa for the duration of 3 months.  In case if there is not an Azerbaijani embassy accredited in your country, you will be issued a visa at the Visa Section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs located in Haydar Aliyev International Airport.  

In order to timely begin your studies at BHOS we would recommend you to start visa application procedures as soon as possible.  We will provide you with the admission letter and assistance for applying for visa. For specific visa procedures and documents checklist please contact the Azerbaijani Embassy to your country.

Foreigners or stateless persons whose stay in the Republic of Azerbaijan exceeds a total of 15 days have to be registered upon their place of stay. For this purpose, a foreigner, within 15 days after arrival in the country, should apply via e-services of the official website of the State Migration Service of the Republic of Azerbaijan, e-government portal, an e-mail ( or in person at the regional migration departments or ASAN Service centres. An application form and a passport copy (including the visa page and pages indicating the latest entry to the country) have to be submitted. No state fee is required for registration of foreigners and stateless persons upon the place of stay.

Foreigners are required to get a temporary residence permit from the State Migration Service at least one month before the expiration of their visa (even if you are travelling based on a visa free regulation). Upon successful completion of the academic year, the duration of your residence permit will be extended for another one-year period. The temporary residence permit (TRP) allows you to enter/exit the borders of Azerbaijan for the duration specified in your residence permit without the necessity of having a visa. The TRP is renewed on an annual basis by preparing and submitting the relevant documents to the Migration Service of the Republic of Azerbaijan.

Note: When a foreigner or stateless person changes his/her place of stay, he/she should get registered upon the new place of stay within 5 working days from the date of arrival at the new address in a way envisaged by Articles 21.2-21.5 of Migration Code. If a foreigner or stateless person is temporarily staying in another apartment (accommodation) owned by a landlord in which he/she is already registered, his/her re-registration is not required.

Bhos internatıonal relations department will assist you in addressing your migratıon issues. You will be responsible to cover any fees related to the migration arrangements. Make sure you get all your required documents prepared well in advance to avoid any delays and fines.


For further details, please check the link.